Bob & Barbara Harmon Hosted Society Islands 14–night Cruise October 20, 2018
Bob & Barbara Harmon are the Signature Travel Network hosts!
Natural beauty is on display everywhere you look on this two-week journey through the Marquesas, Tuamotus, and the Society Islands. This itinerary offers plenty of time to explore at your own pace, from the pristine beaches and exceptional diving of the Tuamotu Archipelago to the Marquesas Islands of Fatu Hiva, Hiva Oa, Tahuata, and Nuku Hiva, all of which are as rich in culture as they are in rugged, natural beauty. Continue on to the picturesque Society Islands.
Sailing October 20, 2018
- Fakarava is a nature lover’s paradise. The remote island is a sanctuary for rare birds, plants, and crustaceans, many of which are easily spotted during a stroll on the island’s pink-sand beaches.
- Step back in history on the island of Hiva Oa, which is the burial place of artist Paul Gauguin, as well as home of the largest stone sculptures in the Marquesas, considered to be linked to the famous tikis of Easter Island.
- Spend a relaxing day on Motu Mahana, our very own private islet, complete with white-sand beaches, swaying palm trees, a barbecue lunch, drinks served in coconuts, and a floating lagoon bar
- In Bora Bora, spend time at our exclusive white-sand beach on a motu enjoying snorkeling, kayaking, paddleboarding, volleyball, and stunning views of Mount Otemanu.
- $400 on board credit per stateroom
- Spacious, all-oceanview suites and staterooms, nearly 70% with balconies
- All onboard gratuities included
- Complimentary beverages including select wines and spirits, soft drinks, bottled water and hot beverages served throughout the ship
- In-suite bar setup and butler service in categories B and above
- Complimentary 24-hour room service
- Refrigerator replenished daily with soft drinks, beer and bottled water
- Space ratio of 58 – among the highest at sea
- Complimentary use of our exclusive, private white sand beach in Bora Bora with bar service, volleyball, and great snorkeling
- Complimentary day on our private islet, Motu Mahana—off the coast of Taha’a featuring snorkeling, watersports, barbecue with full bar service, and Polynesian hospitality
Day 1 – Embark the m/s Paul Gauguin in Papeete, Tahiti, Society Islands
The islands of Polynesia are a gorgeous collection of volcanic atolls strewn across the grand Pacific Ocean, and the island of Tahiti is the largest of all 118. Explore the dynamic dining, nightlife, and shopping in the capital city of Papeete before embarking on The Gauguin.
Day 2 – At Sea
Spend the day enjoying The Gauguin’s Polynesian ambiance: casual, leisurely, and graceful. Perhaps you’ll take in a lecture by one of our special guests, and then reflect on your day over classic French cuisine at L’Etoile.
Day 3 – Fakarava, Tuamotus
Before modern navigation, this region was known as the “Dangerous Archipelago” for its shallow passages. Today, that same characteristic makes Fakarava a diver’s paradise. Those who prefer to stay on dry land can explore charming villages, ancient temples, and a 19th century coral church.
Day 4 – At Sea
Take a day to enjoy shipboard life: relax poolside, watch the South Pacific pass by, play some table tennis, or learn about our next port in the Reading Gallery.
Day 5 – Omoa, Fatu Hiva, Marquesas
The island of Fatu Hiva is best described as wild and spectacularly beautiful. The jungle greenery begins at the water’s edge, with narrow ravines, deep gorges, and sheer cliffs that plunge straight down into the splashing surf.
Day 6 – Atuona, Hiva Oa, Marquesas
Hiva Oa is the second-largest island in the Marquesas, and location of significant historical and cultural sites. Painter Paul Gauguin is buried in the island’s main town of Atuona, while the village of Pumau is where you’ll find the largest stone sculptures in the Marquesas. In fact, they’re considered relatives of the famous tikis of Necker Island, north of Hawaii, and Easter Island.
Day 7 – Hapatoni, Tahuata, Marquesas
The smallest of the Marquesas archipelago at only 19 square miles, Tahuata is a leaf-shaped volcanic island that welcomes visitors with sheer cliffs, white-sand beaches, a charming seafront village with an ancient royal walkway, and a huge, Vatican-built Catholic church.
Day 8 – Tiaohae, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas
The island of Nuku Hiva is the governmental and economic center of the Marquesas. It’s also stunningly beautiful, with three major bays on the south coast and similarly gorgeous inlets on the north coast. Witness Mother Nature at her best with an optional 4×4 excursion through the Taipivai Valley.
Day 9 & 10 – At Sea
The next two days will be at sea, which affords you plenty of time to relax and enjoy the amenities and entertainment onboard The Gauguin, like the award-winning spa, casino, and lectures by onboard experts.
Day 11 – Huahine, Society Islands
Known as “The Garden Island,” Huahine’s lush rainforests and dramatic terrain surround sacred sites and legendary landmarks that are among the best-preserved archeological sites in French Polynesia. If Huahine’s expansive lagoon is calling your name, enjoy a SCUBA diving excursion or picnic on the beach.
Day 12 – Bora Bora, Society Islands
A bucket list destination for many, stunning Bora Bora welcomes you to explore lush peaks, white-sand beaches, colorful coral reefs, and romantic lagoons. Experience the natural beauty of the island with an optional snorkeling excursion, sunset jetboat ride, or a helicopter tour that flies you over Bora Bora’s iconic Mount Otemanu. You can also spend time at our private beach which offers volleyball, snorkeling, kayaking and paddleboarding.
Day 13 – Taha’a (Motu Mahana), Society Islands
Embark on your choice of exciting shore excursions today, or spend your whole day relaxing on Motu Mahana, our very own private islet. Enjoy swimming, snorkeling, and kayaking, or simply lounge on the beach with a chilled beverage from our floating bar. Les Gauguines will also be on hand to provide musical entertainment and demonstrate traditional Polynesian crafts. A delicious barbecue lunch is provided.
Day 14 – Moorea, Society Islands / Papeete, Tahiti, Society Islands
Vibrant colors abound on Moorea, in everything from fresh fruits and flowers to multi-hued lagoons, and from spectacular mountain peaks to palm-fringed beaches. Shop for local handicrafts, embark on an optional dolphin-watching expedition with a marine biologist, and sample the local pineapples, said to be the most delicious in all of French Polynesia.
Day 15 – Disembark in Papeete, Tahiti, Society Islands
Tahiti’s capital city of Papeete welcomes you back with emerald hillsides, sapphire waters, and warm breezes. If you’re not ready for your South Pacific vacation to end, spend a few days here experiencing resorts, spas, restaurants, nightlife, and shopping.
Please call for pricing and availability.